2021 Award "Best Practice in Citizen Participation"
15th Edition 2021
Supports are subject to the following rules:
- You can support up to 5 proposals.
Creation of the platform BA Cambio Climático (Buenos Aires)
In the preparation and design of BA Climate Change, we tried to create a platform that would combine the opening of public environmental information, accountability of government actions and civic activation for the purpose of:
- Collaborate with the democratization of information regarding climate change and accountability of government actions to reduce carbon emissions, allowing for the strengthening of citizen monitoring.
- Through concrete actions, we will involve neighbors in the process of cultural change to mitigate the risks of climate change. With their commitment to the cause, it is expected that they will manage a transformation in their individual habits and thus, be able to collaboratively build a more sustainable City of Buenos Aires from now on.
Based on this and on the participatory background in the area of climate change, it was decided to design the BA Climate Change platform through a co-creation and a consensus process with strategic actors involved or interested in the subject.
- Interviews with experts. In-depth interviews were conducted with 15 activists, government and CSO representatives, seeking to gather the diversity of voices on a homogeneous scheme of questions and answers.
- Citizen Participation and Climate Change Ideathon. The Federal Ideathon Innovative Cities in Times of COVID-19 consisted of a meeting on the Zoom platform with the participation of neighbors, specialists and CSOs.
- A four-stage co-creation workshop that involved citizens, the Environment and Sustainable Development Advisory Council and thirteen of its member CSOs. The activity was oriented to an audience specialized in the agenda and aimed to gather initiatives for adaptation and mitigation against climate change, and incentives to provide to citizens.
- Brainstorming sessions for citizen activation initiatives. Based on the workshop described in the previous section, two workshops were held with neighbors of the City to increase the co-creation process and incorporate new voices.
- Hackathon for Collective Climate Action: participation tables for co-design of digital products. After the ideation and collective intelligence tables, work tables were held to obtain digital product layouts that could be implemented in the BA Climate Change platform to enhance civic activation.
- Collaborative data collection on air quality in the City. Eight volunteers placed sensors on their bicycles to obtain relevant information during the pandemic.
Based on all these contributions, the BA Climate Change platform was designed and developed - www.buenosaires.gob.ar/cambioclimatico - a platform that combines open environmental information and civic activation. In a single site, one stop shop, it provides more than 30 sets of open data that can be downloaded and reused to generate new studies and undertakings, interactive visualizations and proposals for participation, collaboration and cooperation to achieve together a resilient, carbon neutral and inclusive city.
List of Endorsements
Report inappropriate content
Is this content inappropriate?