2022 Award "Best Practice in Citizen Participation"
Open days of presentation of the budget and accounts to the citizens of the municipality of Tône1
Origin : Before 2019, the context of the municipality of Tône1 in terms of citizen participation in debates on budgetary aspects was characterized by a virtual non-existence of mechanisms and tools promoting citizen expression. The only framework was the budget session to review budgets. The organization of the sessions was not conducive to citizen participation. To allow all its citizens from all sectors and villages to have good information on the budget of their municipality, the municipal authorities with the technical and financial support of its partners have initiated: the public presentation days (JPP) of the budgets and accounts to citizens.
- Improving the quality of public decision-making through participatory democracy mechanisms
- Promote accountability and citizen participation at municipal level by promoting a framework for exchanges between municipal authorities and citizens.
The functioning of public days of presentation (JPP) of budgets and accounts to citizens. Based on these the following steps:
- Establishment of JPPs by the municipal council in session reports;
- Establishment of an organizing committee for the JPPs of the year;
- Scoping meeting of the organizing committee;
- Awareness and information on the organization of the JPP;
- Elaboration of simplified documents of the budget or administrative account to be easy to understand by the citizens;
Organization of the JPP bringing together a large number of citizens. On occasion, the mayor summarizes the presentation documents on the budget or the accounts, focusing on the issues in terms of investment for the benefit of the populations. After discussions with the citizens, a summary of the day is made to collect the commitments and recommendations of the participants. These commitments and recommendations will be monitored by the finance commission.
Presentation of the Budget and accounts in a radio station in synchronization with 3 other radio stations in the municipality of Tône1. The program is interactive and allows, after the presentation of the budget in French and in the local language, to give listeners the opportunity to ask questions.
Results: The experience of public days for the presentation of budgets and accounts to the citizens of the municipality of Tône1 began in 2019 and continued without interruption in 2022. The following results were recorded
- An increase in the number of citizens participating in public days for the presentation of budgets and accounts (200 in 2019, 200 in 2020, 500 in 2021);
- A greater number of citizens are informed of the budgets and investments planned for the benefit of the populations;
- The strategies and measures taken by the authorities to achieve the objectives are presented to the citizens;
- Solutions and commitments are proposed by the populations to support the municipality in the optimum mobilization of resources.
Evaluation: The experience of the public days of presentation of the budgets and accounts of the municipality of Tône 1 is the subject of evaluations at three levels:
- Evaluation by the organizing committee;
- Evaluation by the municipal council;
- Evaluation by citizens at the time of presentation of the accounts.
Report inappropriate content
Is this content inappropriate?